Python equivt of __FILE__ and __LINE__

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Tue Feb 12 11:41:20 EST 2008

alain wrote:
> On Feb 11, 10:58 am, "Bill Davy" <B... at SynectixLtd.com> wrote:
>> Writing a quick and dirty assembler and want to give the user the location
>> of an error.  The "assembly language" is Python.  If the user wants to
>> generat some object code they write something  like:
>>
>> Label(LoopLable)
>>     Load(R4)
>>     Dec()
>>     JNZ(LoopLabel)
>>
>> I can use Python to do all the expression evalutaion, conversion from Python
>> FP to target FP, include files, macros (done as function definitions).  The
>> functions like Load() generate the approproyte object code.
>>
>> So, for example, when a label is defined or referenced, I save the File,Line
>> so if there is not exactly one defintion or no references, I can report the
>> file location(s) to be considered.  In the example, I would want to report
>> that LoopLable is not referenced, and LoopLabel is not defined.
>>
>> TIA,
>>     Bill
>>
>> PSwww.SynectixLtd.comis not relevant
>
> def __LINE__():
> 	try:
> 		raise Exception
> 	except:
> 		return sys.exc_info()[2].tb_frame.f_back.f_lineno
> def __FILE__():
> 	return inspect.currentframe().f_code.co_filename

That's awesome.  It's easy to see how these and other
'preprocessor-like' constructs could be wrapped into a convenient
module.  But the leading and trailing double-underscores, and the
all-caps function names, seem very un-python.  (It's not really going to
look like C, anyway, since the client code will need parentheses after
the pseudo-macro names.)  What would be more pythonic?  Maybe something
like this?

     # srcinfo.py
     import inspect
     import sys

     def line():
             try:
                     raise Exception
             except:
                     return sys.exc_info()[2].tb_frame.f_back.f_lineno
     def file():
             return inspect.currentframe().f_code.co_filename

     if __name__ == '__main__':
             print "%s: %d" % (file(), line())

     # client.py
     import srcinfo