OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 12 05:15:03 EST 2008

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:18:38 -0800, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
>
>> equivalence for everyday usage and make no requirement of using the
>> "proper" units for mass (kg) vs. weight (N) for, say, buying things at
>
> 	Ah, but in the US, the unwashed masses (as in "lots of people")
> don't even know that there is a difference between lb-force and lb-mass
> (okay, all they know of is a simple "lb" which is based upon force of
> gravity at point of measurement, while lb-mass is a sort of artificial
> unit... don't mention slugs <G>)

Yes, exactly; you started with another word game and then in the process
dismissed it with a half-joke at the end.  Pounds came first, and
rationalized systems (lbm/lbf, slug/lb, and even ridiculous retrofits
like kg/kgf, completely turning the apple cart upside down) came
afterwards.  The point is, the difference between the two is _totally
irrelevant_ to those "unwashed masses" (and in the contexts we've been
talking about).  Even NIST (among other) SI guidelines acknowledge that
because, well, it's blatantly obvious.

That actually feeds right back into my earlier port about physics
subsuming terminology to its own ends.  Making the distinction between
mass and weight is critical for understanding physics, but not for
everyday behavior involving measuring things in pounds; after all, in
extending the popular concept of a "pound," different physicists made a
distinction between mass and weight differently (i.e., the rationalized
systems above) such that there is no accepted standard.  Of _course_
physicists have to make a distinction between mass and weight, and to do
so with Imperial or American systems of units requires deciding which
one a "pound" is, and what to do with the other unit.  But that's a
physicist making distinctions that do not exist in the more general
language, just the same as a physicist meaning something different by
"free fall" than a layman.

But (say) dinging some Joe Schmo because he doesn't know that a pound is
really a unit of force (or mass) is really just playing pointless word
games.  As I said earlier, there are better ways to teach physics.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Don't ever get discouraged / There's always / A better day
    -- TLC