OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 11 17:07:49 EST 2008

Steve Holden wrote:

> Well the history of physics for at least two hundred years has been a
> migration away from the intuitive. In strict linguistic terms the word
> "subatomic" is a fine oxymoron. I suspect it's really "turtles all the
> way down".

Well, hard to say that's been a monotonic pattern.  For instance,
Aristotelian physics had an awful lot of components that were fairly
bizarre, counter-intuitive, or even contrary to easily gained
experience.  The notion of impetus -- where an object throw moves in a
straight line until it runs out of impetus, then falls straight down --
is clearly contrary to everyday experience of watching two people throw
a ball back and forth from a distance, since the path of the ball is
clearly curved.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
    -- Miguel de Cervantes, ca. 1600