GUI definition for web and desktop

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 2 22:42:03 EST 2008

Hi pythoneans,

I'm looking for a simple text based GUI definition format and
associated python modules to work with it that is capable of defining
simple GUI's for *both* the web and the desktop. I have an application
that is accessible through the web and also through desktop
applications and both clients should be presented a simple dialog GUI.
This dialog will only include text fields, radio buttons and a file
upload field. The exact list of fields might change from time to time
which implies that both clients should immediately know about it.

My idea is that if there was a lightweight GUI definition format then
I would define the current list of fields and other GUI elements in
this format, expose this file on the web, and both the web client and
the desktop client would first fetch this file and generate the
appropriate GUI from that dynamically. If the GUI changes I would only
need to modify my definition file and both type of clients would
immediately know about it since before they do anything else they grab
this definition.

I haven't yet decided on the desktop client GUI library, it depends on
which library has such a dynamically generatable interface from a text
file. But it should be cross platform between linux and windows.

What would be the best way to do this?

Cheers,
Daniel