Must COMMIT after SELECT

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Feb 7 10:46:28 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 16:33 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> mxODBC has support for named cursors that you can later
> use for positioned updates.

Since we're on the topic of shameless plugs, InformixDB has this
feature, too :)

> However, it's usually better to do updates in the classical
> way, ie. by referencing a primary key.

That depends on the notion of "better". It's entirely possible that a
"WHERE CURRENT OF <cursor>" clause finds the row in question faster than
even an indexed access using a primary key could. If you're processing a
single row, I would agree that using an update cursor is overkill, but
if you're processing a large number of rows, using an update cursor
might be beneficial.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net