fast method accessing large, simple structured data

agc clemesha at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:36:47 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for a fast way of accessing some simple (structured) data.

The data is like this:
Approx 6 - 10 GB simple XML files with the only elements
I really care about are the <title> and <article> ones.

So what I'm hoping to do is put this data in a format so
that I can access it as fast as possible for a given request
(http request, Python web server) that specifies just the title,
and I return the article content.

Is there some good format that is optimized for search for
just 1 attribute (title) and then returning the corresponding article?

I've thought about putting this data in a SQLite database because
from what I know SQLite has very fast reads (no network latency, etc)
but not as fast writes, which is fine because I probably wont be doing
much writing (I wont ever care about the speed of any writes).

So is a database the way to go, or is there some other,
more specialized format that would be better?

Thanks,
Alex