OT: Star Wars and parsecs [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Lou Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Feb 8 15:53:58 EST 2008

In article <13qotf2mgpvkoac at corp.supernews.com>,
 Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

> On 2008-02-08, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > 	A Parsec is a fixed value (which, admittedly, presumes the culture
> > developed a 360degree circle broken into degrees => minutes =>
> > seconds... or, at least, some units compatible with the concept of an
> > "arc second", like 400 grads of, say, 100 "minutes", each of 100
> > "seconds")
>
> It also presumes a standard diamter of that circle.

Which is the Earth's orbit.  So, long, long ago in a galaxy far, far
away did they know about the Earth and decide to use it as the basis for
length in the universe?  Even before people on earth defined it?

Or (ominous music builds here, switch to low voice) is it as some now
contend?  We are the decendents of a long, lost civilization who
colonized Earth and used it as a base for their operations to the point
of adopting it as their own home?

...  You Betcha!

:-)

--