Weird cgi error

Jesse Aldridge JesseAldridge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:18:53 EST 2008

> This is some kind of crooked game, right? Your code works fine on a
> local server, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work just fine on
> yours either. All you are changing is the standard input to the process.
>
> Since you claim to have spotted this specific error, perhaps you'd like
> to explain just exactly how you came across it. I mean that's a pretty
> specific input to test with ...
>
> Frankly I am not sure you are telling the truth about the code behind
> that page. If you *are* then you'd better provide specifics: Python
> version, Apache version, httpd.conf file, and so on. April 1 is still
> over a month away.
>
> regards
>   Steve
>
> PS: consider closing the <textarea> tag on the same line as the opening
> tag to avoid spurious spaces in your pristine form.
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC              http://www.holdenweb.com/

Thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a game, crookedgames.com is a mostly defunct games site
that I was working on for a while.  I'm just hosting the script
there.  What I am actually working on is a tool used to compare
various things.  Check it out here: http://crookedgames.com/cgi-bin/Language_Comparison.py
Here's some input you can use to test with:

Cats
  +2 Fuzzy
  -1 Medium Maintenance

Fish
  +1 Low Maintenance
  -1 Stupid

Dogs
  +2 Fuzzy
  -2 High Maintenance

(note that there's supposed to be two spaces before the +/- symbols --
in case my formatting doesn't go through)

I originally created that tool because I wanted to compare programming
languages, python among them, thus leading me discover this issue.

Now, I'm very new to this web development stuff (this is my first real
app), so it's quite likely that I'm just doing something stupid, but I
can't figure out what.

I'm using LunarPages.  CPanel reports my Apache version as: 1.3.37
(Unix)

I added the line "print sys.version" to the test script, and that
spits out: "2.3.4 (#1, Dec 11 2007, 05:27:57) [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red
Hat 3.4.6-9)]"

I can't find any file called httpd.conf.  It would be in /etc, right?
I guess I don't have one.

Still having the same problem.

Here's the new contents of test.py:

#!/usr/bin/python