Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Nicola Musatti nicola.musatti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:44:40 EST 2008

On Feb 25, 3:17 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 8:29 am, Nicola Musatti <nicola.musa... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 24, 9:14 pm, Larry Bugbee <ebug... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Corporate marketing, and corporate attention in general, saw to it
> > > that Java was well equipped with libraries and frameworks addressing
> > > enterprise application needs.  ...but the *big* reason Java won over C+
> > > + is because your application became stable sooner.  ...with arguably
> > > fewer problems later.
>
> > The number of libraries you get "out of the box" appear to me as more
> > likely explanations for the productivity increase.
>
> The productivity increase of the language appears to me as a more
> likely explanation for the number of libraries you get "out of the
> box".

In the case of Python I suspect you have a point even without the
smiley, given how much of what's available was developed without any
major corporation's support. On the other hand, had the kind of money
that's been poured into Java and/or .NET been poured into *standard* C+
+, I dont' think it would be so far behind. Witness the kind of
libraries/framework that used to and still come with some commercial C+
+ implementation, and even some free/open source ones; Boost, ACE and
wxWidgets are the first that come to mind.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti