Tkinter fonts setting

Unnamed One noname9968 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:02:35 EST 2008

jim-on-linux wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 15:22, Unnamed
> One wrote:
>
>> First question - is it possible to set
>> font to default OS font for window text?
>> It would be preferable, while on my
>> Windows XP system Tkinter sets small
>> Helvetica-style font by default.
>>
>> Secondly, can I set font globally (or
>> specify "default" font for widgets)? In
>> fact, all I want is to get default OS font
>> unless (rarely) I need to specify another.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Go to:
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/
>
> Read chapter 6,  Widget Styling, there is a
> section on Fonts which has a sub-section on
> System Fonts.
>
> jim-on-linux
> http://www.inqvista.com

These are fonts supported by individual systems, but not fonts set there
as default.

Regarding my questions, I guess both are impossible in Tkinter (as I
didn't found anything about that in any Tkinter documentation), but
there still must be a way to get the default OS font name and size
(maybe outside of Tkinter), because it's always advised to use them in
applications.

Otherwise text, for example, will always be too large or too small on
some screens.