How to convert markup text to plain text in python?

geoffbache geoff.bache at pobox.com
Fri Feb 1 11:07:37 EST 2008

I have some marked up text and would like to convert it to plain text,
by simply removing all the tags. Of course I can do it from first
principles but I felt that among all Python's markup tools there must
be something that would do this simply, without having to create an
XML parser etc.

I've looked around a bit but failed to find anything, any tips?

(e.g. convert "<B>Today</B> is <U>Friday</U>" to "Today is Friday")

Regards,
Geoff