How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:10:13 EST 2008

On Feb 28, 3:30 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>         Automatic conversions, okay... but converting a result when all
> inputs are of one time, NO...

People, this is so cognitive dissonance it's not even funny.

There is absolutely nothing obvious about 1/2 returning a number that
isn't at least approximately equal to one half.  There is nothing self-
evident about operations maintaining types.

You people can't tell the difference between "obvious" and "learned
conventions that came about because in limitations in the hardware at
the time".  Nobody would have come up with a silly rule like "x op y
must always have the same type as x and y" if computer hardware had
been up to the task when these languages were created.

>        Very simple rule, used by very many traditional >programming languages.

I'd be interested in hearing what languages those are.

Carl Banks