How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 26 10:49:10 EST 2008

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> writes:

> I have not been following Python development that closely lately so
> I was not aware of that. I guess I won't be going to Python 3 then.
> It's great that Python wants to attract young, new programmers.  Too
> bad about us old farts I guess.

Before deciding to drop Python 3 on the grounds of integer division, I
recommend that you at least read PEP 238
(http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0238/) to see arguments *why* the
division was changed.  Who knows, maybe they persuade you?

The "Motivation" section of the PEP makes a persuasive argument why
integer division works well in statically typed languages, but results
in many more gotchas in a dynamic language like Python.