XML pickle

castironpi at gmail.com castironpi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:31:47 EST 2008

On Feb 14, 1:49 pm, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> castiro... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Stefan Behnel wrote:
> >> What I meant was: please state what you are trying to do. What you describe
> >> are the environmental conditions and possible solutions that you are
> >> thinking of, but it doesn't tell me what problem you are actually trying
> >> to solve.
>
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
>
> > What problem -am- I trying to solve?  Map the structure -in- to XML.
>
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
>
> Is it a fixed structure you have, or are you free to use whatever you like?
>
> > Objects first.  Create.
>
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell
>
> My guess is that this is supposed to mean: "I want to create Python objects
> and then write their structure out as XML". Is that the right translation?
>
> There are many ways to do so, one is to follow these steps:
>
> http://codespeak.net/lxml/objectify.html#tree-generation-with-the-e-f...http://codespeak.net/lxml/objectify.html#element-access-through-objec...http://codespeak.net/lxml/objectify.html#python-data-types
> then maybe this:http://codespeak.net/lxml/objectify.html#defining-additional-data-cla...
> and finally this:http://codespeak.net/lxml/tutorial.html#serialisation
>
> But as I do not know enough about the problem you are trying to solve, except:
>
> > The use case is a simulated strategy tournament.
>
> I cannot tell if the above approach will solve your problem or not.
>
> Stefan

I was trying to start a discussion on a cool OO design.  Problem's
kind of solved; downer, huh?

I haven't completed it, but it's a start.  I expect I'll post some
thoughts along with progress.  Will Excel read it?  We'll see.

A design difference:

Worksheet= lambda parent: etree.SubElement( parent, "Worksheet" )
Table= lambda parent: etree.SubElement( parent, "Table" )
sheet= Worksheet( book ) #parent
table= Table( sheet )
vs.

table= Table() #empty table
sheet= Worksheet( table= table ) #child

I want to call sheet.table sometimes.  Is there a lxml equivalent?