[2.4.2] Compiling Python with packages?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 3 03:14:24 EST 2008

> 	I need to compile Python with the packages "socket,sys,time,os", but
> I've never done it before, and would like confirmation that this will
> work as planned:
>
> ======
> make clean
> ./configure --with-socket --with-sys --with-time --with-os
> make
> make install
> ======

No, it won't. You don't give any arguments to configure normally,
when building Python. Instead, setup.py will detect what libraries
are on your system, and use them.

There are a few --enable and --with flags supported; ask --help
what they are.

The modules you want to have (socket, sys, time, and os) are always
built.

> In addition, are there recommended switches I should know about?
>
> Incidently, is there an equivalent to PHP's phpinfo() to check what
> packages Python provides on a host?

There is sys.builtin_module_names. However, some modules are
not builtin (they are shared libraries instead); it's easiest
to ls build/lib.<system> after compiling Python to see what
modules have been built.

Regards,
Martin