is there enough information?

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Tue Feb 26 13:04:26 EST 2008

castironpi at gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 26, 11:37 am, Jeff Schwab <j... at schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>> castiro... at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Ugh, very well.  You call for an explanation.
>>> Back home, the original post would be interesting, so I wrote it.
>>> Whatever reactions other people have to them is information that is
>>> unavailable to me.  I don't know you.  I'm rather irked by a
>>> proportion of posts, but for my part, it's hard to get me to point a
>>> finger.
>>> I am not a troll.  I want a sustainable, healthy, productive,
>>> educational, informative relationship with frequenters of c.l.p, the
>>> Python community at large, and anyone who has anything non-negative to
>>> contribute.  If you are wanting to see how I react to hostility, just
>>> ask.  I'll fake it for you, but only for a second at a time.
>> Wow.  I sure hope I don't come across like castiron does here.
>>
>>> Now, what help is it that you believe I seem to want?  All I asked for
>>> was, ideas.
>> It's a little difficult for me to interpret your code, partly because I
>> am nbt very familiar with Python's support for concurrency.  But what
>> are you trying to a achieve?
>>
>> You mentioned:  "I recently ran into a case (* would that be helpful to
>> describe here?) where thread1 had to do something, thread2 had to do
>> something after that, and thread1 had to wait for that, then do
>> something else, and thread2 again had to wait before starting the first
>> thing again."
>>
>> This is ordinarily called a Producer-Consumer model.  It is often
>> implemented using semaphores.  Googling "python semaphore" turns up this
>> documentation:
>>
>> http://www.python.org/doc/lib/semaphore-objects.html
>>
>> That page, in turn, links to an example of the proper use of semaphores
>> in Python.  Does that help?- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Jeff.  I've enjoyed your recent posts.
>
> I'm not quite sure a semaphore is exactly the synchronization object
> I'm looking for, but I'm a little new to concurrency myself.
>
> In the interface I design, only one with-call can get the result at
> once.  It was my understanding that semaphores, and many other synch.
> objs. returned control at random.

I take this to mean that your interface offers a function returns
immediately, rather than waiting for the work to complete.  Is that correct?

> In fact, in the background, I'm working on something a little more
> substantial than this, but it's not done, so the only review of it I
> can perform is of its interface.

The interface is (in my opinion) usually the best place to start the
code, anyway.

> If someone has a "yes, but in half the lines, at twice the speed,"
> then tear my posts to shreds.

It is not quite clear what your code is intended to do.  That doesn't
mean there's necessarily anything wrong with it, but it's hard for most
Usenetters to take the time to read such long sequences of code.  Would
it be possible for you to post a complete program, that we can actually
run?  Wherever your code is not yet ready, just put a line or two of
"stub" code, and add a comment to explain what should be happening.