OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 11 20:25:16 EST 2008

Jeff Schwab wrote:

> So what's the "double mistake?"  My understanding was (1) the misuse
> (ok, vernacular use) of the term "free fall," and (2) the association of
> weight with free-fall velocity ("If I tie an elephant's tail to a
> mouse's, and drop them both into free fall, will the mouse slow the
> elephant down?")

I presume his point was that physicists have a specialized meaning of
"free fall" and, in that context, the answer is wrong.

My point was, and still is, that if this question without further
context is posed to a generally educated laymen, the supposedly wrong
answer that was given is actually _correct_.  After all, surely the
technical physics meaning of "free fall" came _after_ a more common term
was in use, just as with other terms like "force" or "energy" that have
technical meanings in physics, but more abstract or general meanings in
the general parlance.  "Free fall" means something specialized to
physicists, but it means something more general to non-physicists.

A lot of these kind of "gotcha" questions intended to trick even
reasonable people into demonstrating technical ignorance have precisely
the same problem:  The desired technical context is not made clear and
so that the supposedly-wrong answer is not only unsurprising, but often
arguably correct.  This kind of stuff is little more than a semantic
terminology game, rather than revealing any deeper concepts.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Tell me the truth / I'll take it like a man
    -- Chante Moore