Turn off ZeroDivisionError?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:33:18 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 5:03 pm, Neal Becker <ndbeck... at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I use C code to turn off the hardware signal, will that stop python from
> detecting the exception, or is python checking for 0 denominator on it's
> own (hope not, that would waste cycles).

Yes, Python does do an explicit check for a zero denominator.  Here's
an excerpt from floatdiv.c in Objects/floatobject.c:

if (b == 0.0) {
    PyErr_SetString(PyExc_ZeroDivisionError, "float division");
    return NULL;
}

This is probably the only sane way to deal with differences in
platform behaviour when doing float divisions.