How to manipulate elements of a list in a single line of code?

mrstephengross mrstevegross at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:39:26 EST 2008

I would like to translate the contents of a list. For instance, let's
say I've got a list of strings and I want to append "foo" to each
element. I might do the following;

  list1 = ['a', 'b', 'c']
  for i in range(0, len(list1)): list1[i] += 'foo'

Ok, that much works. But what if I don't want to modify the contents
of list1. Instead, I want list2 to hold the modified contents, like
so:

1  list1 = ['a', 'b', 'c']
2  list2 = []
3  for item in list1: list2.append(item + 'foo')

Is there a way to express lines 2-3 sort-of ilke this:

  list2 = [ for item in list1: item + 'foo' ]

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Steve