Turn off ZeroDivisionError?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:31:51 EST 2008

On Feb 15, 7:59 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:35:34 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
> >> I don't understand:  why would +INF not be equal to itself?  Having INF
> >> == INF be True seems like something that makes sense both
> >> mathematically and computationally.
> >>  [...]
>
> > There are an uncountable number of infinities, all different.
>
> But the IEEE standard only supports one of them, aleph(0).
>
> Technically two: plus and minus aleph(0).

Not sure that alephs have anything to do with it.  And unless I'm
missing something, minus aleph(0) is nonsense. (How do you define the
negation of a cardinal?)

>From the fount of all wisdom: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Aleph_number)

"""The aleph numbers differ from the infinity (∞) commonly found in
algebra and calculus. Alephs measure the sizes of sets; infinity, on
the other hand, is commonly defined as an extreme limit of the real
number line (applied to a function or sequence that "diverges to
infinity" or "increases without bound"), or an extreme point of the
extended real number line. While some alephs are larger than others, ∞
is just ∞."""

Mark