sort functions in python

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Sat Feb 9 17:07:44 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> It depends on what you mean by "bubble sort". There are many different
> variations of bubble sort, that are sometimes described by names such as
> comb sort, cocktail sort, exchange sort, and sometimes merely referred to
> bubble sort.

I've never seen anything better than bubble sort being called bubble
sort.  Comb sort is definitely regarded as a different algorithm, and
cocktail sort is no better than bubble sort anyway.

> It's rather like any divide-and-conquer sorting algorithm being
> called quicksort.

Where have you seen this?  I've never heard of non-quicksort
divide-and-conquer algorithms (such as mergesort) being referred to as
quicksort.