How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 01:58:12 EST 2008

On Feb 24, 10:56 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> But that doesn't mean they become less manageable than
> other unlimited precision usages. Did you see my example
> of the polynomial finder using Newton's Forward Differences
> Method? The denominator's certainly don't settle out, neither
> do they become unmanageable. And that's general mathematics.

No, that's a specific algorithm.  That some random algorithm doesn't
blow up the denominators to the point of disk thrashing doesn't mean
they won't generally.

Try doing numerical integration sometime with rationals, and tell me
how that works out.  Try calculating compound interest and storing
results for 1000 customers every month, and compare the size of your
database before and after.

Carl Banks