urllib slow on Leopard

mark me at privacy.net
Sun Feb 24 14:57:19 EST 2008

I've recently switched from Ubuntu to OS X Leopard. I have some python
scripts which download info from the web. The scripts were working fine
before on Ubuntu, but urllib seems to work really slowly on Leopard.

I tried an example from the docs:

 >>> import urllib2
 >>> f = urllib2.urlopen('http://www.python.org/')
 >>> print f.read(100)
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtm

The line f = ... takes about a minute to return - but otherwise returns
the predicted result. My web connection seems fine, so has anyone got
any ideas as to what the problem might be?