Threads vs. continuations

miller.paul.w at gmail.com miller.paul.w at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:26:13 EST 2008

I've been doing some thinking, and I've halfway convinced myself of
the following statement: that threads as implemented by Python (or
Java) are exactly equivalent to one-shot continuations in Scheme.  Am
I right?  (I'd have asked in the scheme groups, but I feel like I'm
less likely to get flamed to death here... hehe.)

If that's the case, it seems threads plus hygeinic macros and a few
primitives a la Scheme would form a solid basis upon which to build a
programming language.  The only thing preventing Python from being
that language is the difficulty of integrating a macro system, n'est-
ce pas?

Thanks!

Paul