Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Robert Brown bbrown at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 25 15:46:36 EST 2008

Larry Bugbee <ebugbee at gmail.com> writes:
> Python's dynamic typing is just fine.  But if I know the type, I want
> the ability to nail it.  ...local variables, arguments, return values,
> etc  And if I don't know or care, I'd leave it to dynamic typing.

This is the approach taken by Common Lisp.  Often just a few type
declarations, added to code in inner loops, results in vastly faster code.
Also, although I don't tend to use type declarations while interactively
developing code, I often add them later.  Mostly, I add them to document the
code, but the added safety and faster execution time are nice benefits.

bob