Encrypting a short string?

Brian desertlinux at netscape.net
Tue Feb 19 11:25:52 EST 2008

Hi Erik,

I really don't recommend the ROT13 cipher, as this is extremely easy to
crack.  Most grade school kids could break this one in seconds.  ;-)

If the project that you are working upon has low security needs, (in
other words, it's not a financial institution), than you might try
something quite basic such as a Vigenere, transposition, or even a
playfair.  These encryption methodologies are not secure and can be
cracked by hackers.  Yet, for the average Joe, it will keep them away
from the information / data stored inside.

One thing that seems to work well is to use to ciphers together.  For
example, encrypt the data using the playfair cipher -- and then run a
transposition cipher.  This will erase most of the "data signatures"
that are needed for most hackers to crack the code.  At this point,
brute force is what most people have to resort upon -- and it's mostly
"governments" that have this ability.  ;-)

Best wishes!

Dusty
---