bags? 2.5.x?

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 17:04:32 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:51:13 +0100, Christian Heimes wrote:

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason why bags didn't go into 2.5.x or 3000?
>>
>> I keep wanting something like them - especially bags with something
>> akin to set union, intersection and difference.
>
> Ask yourself the following questions:
>
> * Is the feature useful for the broad mass?

Yes, probably, at least if this kind of feature's inclusion in other
languages and my two recent needs for it are any indication.  In other
languages, they are sometimes called bags or multisets.

 * Has the feature been
> implemented and contributed for Python?

Yes.

 * Is the code well written,
> tested and documented?

Yes, I believe so, though the patch I sent has only been used in
production a little.

 * Is the code mature and used by lots of people?

This is hard to get a handle on.  It's been on the web for a while, so
it's hard to say how many people have downloaded it and used it.

> Can you answer every question with yes?

3 yesses and a "hard to say for sure".  But maybe we could check the web
server log to get a download count for the maybe.