Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Fri Feb 22 14:18:56 EST 2008

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Feb 22, 12:23 am, Jeff Schwab <j... at schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>> Carl Banks wrote:
>> anything of particular value to the table.s.  In
>>> Because now you have to manage memory?  Did you read my post?  You
>>> have to manage one thing or the other.
>> Yes, I read your post.  You seem to be saying there's some kind of
>> trade-off between automatic management of dynamically allocated memory,
>> and automated management of other kinds of resources.  I don't
>> understand why you believe that, so I asked.
>>
>> If you have proper RAII and deterministic destruction, the management is
>> of resources is consistent, and mostly automated.
>
> If you have garbage collection, the management of memory is
> consistent, and mostly automated.
>
>> Managing memory is
>> just not that difficult,
>
> Managing resources is just not that difficult,
>
>> especially if the vast majority of objects are
>> allocated on the stack or in static memory.
>
> Especially if the there are fewer resources to manage than there would
> have been heap objects....
>
>>  A special language feature
>> for managing dynamically allocated memory robs the programmer of a
>> reliable way to clean up resources automatically,
>
> A special language feature more managing dynamically allocated robs
> the programmer of a reliable way to free memory automatically,
>
>> without bringing
>> anything of particular value to the table.
>
> without bringing
> anything of particular value to the table.
>
> It cuts both ways, chief.
>
> You like managing your own memory, be my guest.  But please don't
> imply that you're putting forth less effort because of it.  You're
> just putting forth different effort.

I disagree with you completely.  Your points don't make any sense to me
at all.  I believe I am putting forth less effort by having a generic
resource-management infrastructure, rather than a memory-specific
language feature -- that's not just an implication, it's my honest belief.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree.