build tool opinions

Tim Arnold tim.arnold at sas.com
Fri Feb 1 14:47:24 EST 2008

Hi, I'm going through the various build tools (i.e., make-like) available
and could use some advice.
My documentation-build system is written in python and uses the pdflatex and
plasTeX engines to create pdfs, html, and docbook XML from latex source
files.  All that is ok, but I can clean up a lot of code by letting a build
tool take care of installing the doc, creating build dirs, interacting with
the CMS, etc.

So I started out looking at ant, since it's so popular. That led me on to
look at SCons since it's written in python, and that led me on to look at
'A-A-P'. Well, there's a lot of options out there.

So my question is what should I use? Impossible to answer I know, but it
looks like SCons and A-A-P haven't had a lot of development activity--that
seems to be because they're stable, not because they've been abandoned.

Right now I like the fact that SCons and A-A-P are both written in Python;
On the other hand I think I could use Jython and Ant too.

Any ideas/opinions/advice would be helpful.
--Tim