Garbage collection

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Tue Feb 19 04:32:32 EST 2008

Duncan Booth napisał(a):

> Pretty much. If you have a __del__ method on an object then in the worst
> case the only thing that can be guaranteed is that it will be called zero,
> one or more than one times. (Admittedly the last of these only happens if
> you work at it).
>
> If it is called then is may be either immediately the last reference to the
> object is lost, or it may be later when the garbage collector runs (and not
> necessarily the first next time the garbage collector runs).

Java finalizers are not called upon VM exit, only when object is swept
by GC (for example when the object is destroyed upon program exit), the
CPython docs read that this is the case for Python too. Is this
behaviour standard for all VM implementations or is
implementation-dependent (CPython, Jython, IronPython)?

--
Jarek Zgoda
Skype: jzgoda | GTalk: zgoda at jabber.aster.pl | voice: +48228430101

"We read Knuth so you don't have to." (Tim Peters)