ways to declare empty set variable

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 12 19:02:02 EST 2008

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Note that '()' is syntactically null. Parentheses don't declare a
> > tuple literal, commas do. Parentheses are for grouping within
> > expressions, not specifying type.
> >
> Tell that to the interpreter:

> <type 'tuple'>
> True

Well, knock me down with a kipper.

That makes it even more a violation of principle-of-least-astonishment
that the '(foo)' form doesn't give a one-element tuple literal.

--
 \       "If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it |
  `\     works, we've already failed." —Peter Lee, Disney corporation, |