Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Nicola Musatti nicola.musatti at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:01:53 EST 2008

On Feb 22, 1:17 am, Jeff Schwab <j... at schwabcenter.com> wrote:
[...]
> If you've already got a generic, language-supported way to manage
> resources (like RAII with deterministic destruction), then why bother
> with garbage collection?  I'm not trying to knock it; it was a big step
> up from C-style "who forgot to delete a pointer" games.  It just seems
> to me like a solution to something that's no longer a problem, at least
> in well-written C++ code.  I'll take destructors over GC any day.

The real point about garbage collection is that it's about the only
way to ensure that an object of one type is never taken to be of
another type, e.g. by keeping around pointers to the object that
occupied its memory before it was reallocated. I believe that this
degree of type safety is worth having, which is why I favour the
addition of optional GC to C++.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti