distutils setup - changing the location in site-packages

imageguy imageguy1206 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:33:02 EST 2008

I am hoping if someone can set me straight.

I have created a  setup script for a module, however, when running the
install on my own machine,  I would like to place the module in a
specific site-packages directory/package.

So if I start with a module in

.\dev\mygreatmodule.py

I want to end up with;

.\lib\site-packages\mytools\mygreatmodule.py.

I have the setup script working, however, when I run the install, it
places the module in the root of site-packages.

The following is the deatils from the script
setup (
  name = "mymodule",
  version = "0.1",
  description = "My modules special description",
  author = "me",
  author_email = "me at mydomain.com",
  py_modules = ["exceptionhandler"]
)

This is for development purposes.  I would like to have a development
copy of some "tools", but when ready and tested "publish" them to the
site-packages where they can be included in "production" code.

Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated.