Getting Wireless Signal Strength / Windows XP

williambattersea at gmail.com williambattersea at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:19:31 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to get wireless signal strength on Windows XP
with Python. I see there's a library for Linux, but I can't find
anything for windows. However, I see that using WMI I can access it in
theory at least, using a query like "select
Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength from
MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength where active=true"

(I got this from: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/36/181397.aspx)

I just began playing with the WMI library, but I can't get a hold of
the signal strength.

As far as I can tell, I should be able to get a handle on it with:

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI()

wql = "select Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength from
MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength where active=true"

o = c.query(wql)

But I get an error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#45>", line 1, in <module>
    c.query("select Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength from
MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength where active=true")
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\wmi.py", line 889, in query
    return [ _wmi_object (obj, instance_of, fields) for obj in
self._raw_query(wql) ]
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\util.py", line
83, in next
    return _get_good_object_(self._iter_.next())
com_error: (-2147217392, 'OLE error 0x80041010', None, None)

Is this not available to me? Any ideas? Am I going about this in the
wrong way?

Thanks