Client side GUI-like web framework ?

USCode dont at spamon.me
Mon Feb 4 12:45:39 EST 2008

Wouldn't it be handy if there was a web framework that allowed you to
create pages and control the interface like you would using a
client-side GUI framework such as Tkinter?

The framework would need a small, fast web server that would
automatically fire up when you ran your application and you then control
the interface just like you would with client-side GUI widgets (within
the limitations of browsers of course).  It would handle all the
complexities of HTTP, HTML, Javascript, etc. letting you focus on adding
functionality to your application.

Essentially you would be using the browser as your cross-platform
client-side interface.  You would just interact with all the widgets
like trees, grids, paned windows, checkboxes, buttons, etc.

There wouldn't happen to be anything like that available, would there?
I've seen CherryPy but that doesn't quite seem to be what I described.

Thanks!