scanf in python?

Bob and Deb bobdebm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:45:30 EST 2008

Hello python-list,

This is my first post and yes I am a python newbie :-)

I've been trying to figure out how to convert an old database dump into a
form that can be imported into Postgresql.  The file (dealing with one
table) looks something like this:

create table table1 (id int, name char(20), agw_map char(14), agw real)
id 1 11 name 13 32 agw 34 47
6195        000036_00195         26.728
6188        000036_00188         31.905
6217        000036_00223         19.644
6078        000036_00024         38.055
6079        000036_00025         37.678
6080        000036_00027         40.03
6081        000036_00028         38.884
6082        000036_00030         43.616
6083        000036_00032         46.548
6084        000036_00033         48.593
6085        000036_00036         53.764
****** End of Table ******

In C I could build a format string (using info from the table create
statement and the column position in the header) and use scanf to parse this
file.  What does the Python solution looks like?

Thanks in advance.

Bob