Easy-to-use Python GUI

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Dec 31 21:10:35 EST 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have been following this thread with interest. Is there a way to
> build Qt apps with relative easy? I use KDE and would prefer the Qt
> toolkit for my GUI apps. Thanks.

A few years ago, I've had bad experiences with wxPython (random things
not actually working on Linux, only on Windows; getting segfaults when
using not exactly the right values for API calls).

So, when I had to decide for a toolkit for a new application I'm
developing on my job which required:

- ability to run on Windows
- ability to run on MacOS
- time to develop is short

I recommended to go with PyQt.

I remembered it was warmly recommended by Alex Martelli and others a few
years ago.

So far, it's been nothing but joy. We bought the book "Rapid GUI
Programming with Python and Qt" (http://www.qtrac.eu/pyqtbook.html)
which is *really* well written. It's probably the best tech book I ever
had. The author formerly did Qt documentation for Trolltech, so he has
deep understanding of what he's writing about.

There may be not so many third-party add-ons for PyQt like for wxPython,
  but in my opinion, the quality of Qt, PyQt and documentation like the
book make up for it.

And, it's really extensive. So far I've found everything in Qt/PyQt I
wanted/needed:

- MDI workspaces
- Dock windows
- I needed something like wxPythons wxOGL for a process modeler and
after looking around for two days, I found out that it's already all
there in Qt 4.4: QGraphicsScene/QGraphicsView
- etc.

-- Gerhard