how to get a beep, OS independent ?

Sun Dec 7 18:43:41 EST 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:56:14 -0700, Joe Strout wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-07, Joe Strout <joe at strout.net> wrote:
>>
>>> But invoking the standard system beep
>>
>> What makes you think there is such a thing as "the standard system
>> beep"?
>
> Because OS X (the platform with which I'm most familiar) certainly has
> one,

OS X, isn't that the operating system owned by Apple that runs on a
handful of more-or-less identical varieties of hardware all controlled by
Apple?

> and REALbasic has had a "Beep" method for years which works on all
> platforms. If RB can do it, we can do it too.

That would be a standard language beep then, not a standard system beep.
You're assuming that there is a standard way for any computer to make a
sound. I don't think that is true.

Of course, if you're volunteering to write such a standard system beep
for Python, I for one would be grateful.

--
Steven