Are Django/Turbogears too specific?

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Sun Dec 21 15:03:40 EST 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Gilles Ganault wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd like to rewrite a Web 2.0 PHP application in Python with AJAX, and
> it seems like Django and Turbogears are the frameworks that have the
> most momentum.

I don't have any practical experience with these, but I've done some
research. My impression is that Pylons has more momentum than TG. The
latter project has declared the 1.x branch to be a dead end, and
they're working on a 2.0 branch that's not out yet. I could be wrong,
but that's what I gathered from my reading.

> I'm concerned, though, that these frameworks they may be too specific
> to the tasks they were originally developped for (news articles,
> AFAIK).

 From the reading I did, I gathered that Django was really good if you
want to do what Django is good at, but not as easy to customize as,
say, Pylons. Pylons, on the other hand, is a little more complicated
because it's made of several different parts, but the positive side of
"complicated" is "flexible".

> Do you think I should just use eg. CherryPy and some basic AJAX?

Yes or no, depending on what you're trying to do! =)

Good luck
Philip