Learning Python now coming from Perl

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Dec 8 05:30:50 EST 2008

Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm planning to start learning Python now, using Python 3000.
>  I have no previous Python skills, but I now Perl pretty well.
>  I'm also well experienced with JavaScript.
>
>  Any pointers and tips how I should go about getting into
>  Python?

Read "Dive Into Python" while following along with your keyboard.

( http://www.diveintopython.org/ free online or paper edition from
your favourite bookseller )

My favourite mistake when I made the transition was calling methods
without parentheses.  In perl it is common to call methods without
parentheses - in python this does absolutely nothing!  pychecker does
warn about it though.

  perl   -> $object->method
  python -> object.method()