Checking a string against multiple matches

Aaron Scott aaron.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:31:03 EST 2008

I've been trying to read up on this, but I'm not sure what the
simplest way to do it is.

I have a list of string. I'd like to check to see if any of the
strings in that list matches another string.

Pseudocode:

if "two" in ["one", "two", "three", "four"]:
     return True

Is there any built-in iteration that would do such a thing, or do I
have to write a function to check for me? I was using .index on the
list, but it would return True for strings that contained the search
string rather than match it exactly, leading to false positives in my
code.