Python idea/proposal to assist in single-archive python applications

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sun Dec 7 12:17:35 EST 2008

Brian Allen Vanderburg II <BrianVanderburg2 at aim.com> wrote:

> In addition it is needed to be able to open a file just as easily
> whether that file is in the archive or not.  Assuming that a datafile in
> an application may be located relative to the '__file__' attributes, the
> following will not work in an archive:

Why not use pkgutil.get_data()?

Provided you remember to put your zip file on PYTHONPATH you can already
run modules directly out of a zipfile (Python 2.5 and later). If your
zipfile contains __main__.py then with Python 2.6 or later you can run it
directly: just specify the zip filename on the command line.

I'm not sure what, if anything, you are asking for that doesn't already
exist in Python.