porting modules to Python 3.0

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:42:09 EST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> In one has both 2.x and 3.0 installed, would it easy to install 'lib.py'
>> for both?
>
> It's currently not possible to install something for 2.x; you have to
> specifically install it for every value of x (e.g. 2.5 or 2.6).

That is what I meant.

> It's the same for 3.0: you have to install it separately.
> Doing so is fairly easy. You just run "setup.py install" multiple
> times

In the right place, with the right option to choose a different Python
each time.  I eventually found the apparent answers in Installing Python
Modules, but only after reading well past 'the above command is
everything you need to get out of this manual' ;-(.

Hitherto, I have only unzipped library packages directly into the
desired site-packages directory.  This has been easier and safer than
setup.py, but will not automatically run 2to3 over the package.  Hence
my question.

Terry