[OT] stable algorithm with complexity O(n)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 21:18:03 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> All the positive thinking in the world won't help you:
>
> * make a four-sided triangle;
>
> * split a magnet into two individual poles;

These two are fundamentally different problems.

The first is impossible by definition.  The definition of triangle is, "a
three-sided polygon".  Asking for a "four-sided triangle" is akin to asking
for "a value of three which is equal to four".

The second is only "impossible" because it contradicts our understanding
(based on observation) of how the physical universe works.  Our
understanding could simply be wrong.  We've certainly been wrong before,
and we will undoubtedly be proven wrong again in the future.  When it comes
to things like electromagnetic theory, it doesn't take too many steps to
get us to the fuzzy edge of quantum physics where we know there are huge
questions yet to be answered.