Python in C

thmpsn.m.k at gmail.com thmpsn.m.k at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:22:08 EST 2008

I've just downloaded Python's mainstream implementation (CPython),
which is written in C. Not to my surprise, I feel like I'm looking at
unstructured spaghetti, and I'm having trouble figuring out how it all
works together. (Please bear with me; I'm just going through the usual
frustration that anyone goes through when trying to see the
organization of a C program :)

So, I have two queries:

1. Can anyone explain to me what kind of program structuring technique
(which paradigm, etc) CPython uses? How do modules interact together?
What conventions does it use?

2. Have there been any suggestions in the past to rewrite Python's
mainstream implementation in C++ (or why wasn't it done this way from
the beginning)?