Mathematica 7 compares to other languages

Lew lew at lewscanon.com
Tue Dec 2 15:21:14 EST 2008

Xah Lee wrote:
> LOL Jon. r u trying to get me to do otimization for you free?

These are professional software development forums, not some script-
kiddie cellphone-based chat room.  "r" is spelled "are" and "u" should
be "you".

> how about pay me $5 thru paypal? I'm pretty sure i [sic] can speed it up.
> Say, maybe 10%, and even 50% is possible.

The first word in a sentence should be capitalized.  "PayPal" is a
trademark and should be capitalized accordingly.  The word "I" in
English should be capitalized.

Proper discipline in these matters helps the habit of mind for
languages like Java, where case counts.

Jon Harrop has a reputation as an extremely accomplished software
maven and columnist.  I find his claims of relative speed and
compactness credible.  He was not asking you to speed up his code, but
claiming that yours was not going to be as effective.  The rhetorical
device of asking him for money does nothing to counter his points,
indeed it reads like an attempt to deflect the point.

--
Lew