IDLE doesn't show stderr output from extension modules

Fri Dec 19 19:18:03 EST 2008

Brian Cole wrote:
> I'm importing an extension module created with SWIG. When working with
> the module interactively in IDLE there should be warning and error
> messages printed to stderr by the extension module. However, these are
> not being caught by the IDLE window, they are going directly to the
> terminal that was used to start IDLE.

However if the extension module is printing to stderr via non-Python
function calls (e.g. C or C++ or Fortran), Idle and Python have no
chance to get to the output.

If you are using Python calls for the I/O, check if some variant of
bug 3926's fix code solves your problems.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org