Don't you just love writing this sort of thing :)

Sun Dec 7 02:32:21 EST 2008

In message <m24p1h8vx5.fsf at googlemail.com>, Arnaud Delobelle wrote:

>   * you seem to disregard the fact that in 'programming language' there
>     is the word 'language'.  A language is a way to _communicate_
>     information, in the case of a programming language you communicate
>     it to the computer but also to other human beings.

It was Niklaus Wirth, I think who pointed out that programming languages are
not properly "languages" but are actually "notations". Like mathematics is
a notation.

And mathematics, too, is a predominantly functional, not a procedural,
notation. Could that be why so many people are frightened of functional
constructs, like my code example and things like lambdas? Because they look
too much like mathematics?