mod_python resources

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:25:58 EST 2008

On Dec 17, 11:10 am, Дамјан Георгиевски <gdam... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying again because I'm stubborn. Maybe the fourth time will be
> > the charm...
>
> > Are there any good tutorials out there for setting up Apache with
> > mod_python?
>
> mod_python is depreceated, nobody uses it. usemod_wsgihttp://www.modwsgi.org/

The mod_python package is not deprecated, although it could be said to
be sleeping at the moment. You'll also probably still find that more
new people choose mod_python over mod_wsgi. This is because it has the
more obvious name to look for when Googling. It also has publisher and
PSP high level handler which are still attractive to many as they are
more lightweight and easier to get into than the large WSGI
frameworks. Finally, the Django folks still recommend in their
documentation to use mod_python.

Anyway, if wanting to host a WSGI capable application, using mod_wsgi
would be the more obvious choice. If wanting to write your own
framework, or work at low level, basing it on WSGI rather than
mod_python specific APIs would certainly be a better long term
direction to take.

Graham