density plot

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 02:56:14 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM,  <yuniyuni21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to make the density plot, more specifically a
> gaussian-smoothed version of a histogram.  Actually, it's not exactly
> a plot that I want.  What I want to do is get the maximum count (or
> highest peak) of the density distribution.  It's different from the
> probability density function that has the center at zero.
>
> In S plus and R, there is the "density" function which I can use to
> get the max x and  y in the frequency distribution.

scipy ML is more appropriate for this kind of questions:

http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

In scipy, there is a kernel density estimator, which is one popular
method for non-parametric density estimation, and fit exactly the
"Gaussian smoothed version of the histogram" when used with Gaussian
kernels.

David